Cromarty East Church. SRCT.
Conservation News

South wall revealed

12 November 2008

East Church south wall with harling removedAfter a week of dedicated hammering by Andrew Burns, the rest of the harling on the south wall has been removed.

No further mysteries have been revealed - and disappointingly there is no sign of the wall raising (by 4 feet) that took place in 1756.

Andrew, Steven and David contemplating the south wall during a short pause in harling removalThe south wall has been the focus  of changes in church architecture fashions over the centuries, and looks to have  had major rebuilding over that time - making it difficult to see many earlier features.

The gable ends are now looked to with optimism!

Check out the worksite pages for more details.

Latest News Stories

Become a friend
Support the work of the Scottish Redundant Churches Trust in looking after historic buildings like the East Church. more »

Contact Us | Links | Sitemap | Copyright Cromarty East Church © 2008